Island Rab is a pure delight for the nature lovers and holidaymakers - this is the second greenest island on the Adriatic after NP Mljet in Dalmatia. Island of Rab has long promenades along the coast and many cycling paths that lead past the attractive scenary. All this enables visitors to enjoy outstanding natural beauties and have an active recreational holiday.
Since the island is diverse in it's geological characteristics so the trails differe significantly in their sorts; from ridge stone desert to rich woods and breathtaking coves... The walks can be easy or more demanding, depending on the route one selects.
The total length of cycling paths on the island of Rab is 157 km. The total length of walking paths on the island of Rab is 144 km.
Best time for the trekking and long walks is in spring to mid-June / beginning of summer and mid- September to November. All the periods outside summer months ( due to the heat) are suitable to enjoy the pleasant temperatures and the surroundings. Even the winter months are OK since usual temperature are arround 8-10 C , and there is no snow. Summer time ( 15.06.-15.09.) makes it very difficult due to high temperatures ( can be 40+ on the rocks, no water, no shade) and is not recommended to anyone. In any case, although this is not great wilderness, common sense and good equipment ( walking shoes, provisions) are required.
Although there are free trekk maps available at the local TIC, it is advisible that you engage a local guide and never depart on more demanding trekks alone. Even if you are experienced hiker - new habitat is always tricky.
Guided excursions can be tailored to your own interests and according to duration of your stay ( half a day or a full day or multiple trekks).
WALKING TRAILS - overview
PENINSULA KALIFRONT - situated on the north-western side of the island, the greenest part of the island of Rab covered with extraordinary Holm oak forest Dundo. Carst relief and the well-indented coast with numerous beautiful sea bays.
The peninsula of Kalifront with forst Dundo is famous for its Holm oak. In 1949 the forest Dundo was declared a natural rarity and it was placed under the protection of the Department for Natural Heritage Protection in the category of "special reserve forest - botanical reserve" (forest vegetation). - Holm oak (Quercus ilex) is an evergreen oak which can reach thousand years of age. A few impressive examples are preserved in the forest Dundo.
PATHS OF PREMUZIC
- built around 1930 by Ante Premuzic, an engineer holding a BSc in Forestry and a famous architect and constructor of forest roads, mountain-tourist paths and stream management.
PATH OF PREMUZIC ON PENINSULA KALIFRONT - begins left from the source of Pidok and follows a mild slope reaching the entrance of the special reserve forest Dundo - botanical reserve. It crosses the asphalt road to Dundo and it finally reaches the forest-ranger's cottage Dundo and ends in the Bay of Christopher. The length is 9 km from the cape of Kalifront to the cape of Frkanj. Marked on the map with numbers 9 and 10.
PATH OF PREMUZIC SUPETARSKA DRAGA-LOPAR - length 5,170 m.
Covering the plateau of carst, Fruga valley, Holm oak forest Suhanj, old 'Roman path'. Geo Park area.
- It begins in the settlement of Matkici near the village of Supetarska Draga, on the bridge above a dam. Marked on the map with numbers 1, 2
The influence of erosion on the flysch ground and its vegetation is best seen on the examples of unusual forms of ground in the area of the path of Premuzic. Some of the forms which resemble towers and pyramids reach the height of 5 m.
KAMENJAK panorama trekk
- the highest and largest mountain massif of limestone at 408m. Excellent panorama views on the whole island.
ST. DAMIAN hill
- The fortress of St. Kuzma and Damian is situated on the hill above Barbat. Constructed in 6th century, it served as a sentinel, in defence purposes and for monitoring the waterway to the Channel of Velebit, the Channels of Barbat and Pag and a part of the Bay of Kvarner. The fortress is reached by a steep and narrow shepherd pathway. The central building within the fortress is the Church of St. Kuzma and Damian.
MUNDANIJE AND BANJOL COUNTRYSIDE WALKS
Start along the hill Sv. Illayah, cross to Mundanije and continue at the Sotici hammlet towards Godinici, Ribarici and Matusan hammlets. Take a turn off the main road arround the hill and continue to Santa Lucia church in Banjol, returning to the town along the long promenade from the camping Padova 3. This is an easy half day walking tour.
- Ciganka, Sturic, Dubac; Lopar.
- Start from the harbour of old Lopar towards the old Church and further to the remote natural sandy beaches. Wonderful views on high mountain and neighbouring islands Grgur and Goli. Stunning landscapes formed by strong bura winds, natural sculptures of carved hills, sandy slopes and shores covered with aromatic bushes and herbs. Nice walks along the paths next to the cristal clear sea.
The whole back NE side is very quiet and ideal for a whole day picknick and a good rest, in summer season also great for swimming.
- Lungo mare from town Rab to the franciscan monastery of St.Bernardine at the end of Eufemia bay 3 km one way
- Lungo mare from the Rab harbour to Banjol and Barbat. - 7,5km
- Lungo mare Gonar bay 2 km
For a guide arrangements please contact us in advance on time.