History in brief:- until 228. BC - Liburnia/ Illiricum, Greece ( Dionisius younger, Dionisius elder)
|HISTORIC and CULTURAL HERITAGE - TREASURES OF RAB|
Parish church St. Mary;
- Pieta and Baptistery, 15
ct. Petar Trogiranin
- Chorus 1445
- Ciborium 9 ct.
- Jesus Christ relief, Byzant 8 ct.
- Altarpainting Virgin and a Child, 14. ct, Guariento d’Arpo
- Altar painting The Assumptiont, late Venetian baroque (between 1746 and 1756)
- Altar marmor Intarsia with St. Christopher ( 17 ct.)
- St. Christopher reliquiem
- variouse holy artefacts ( crucifixes, censers, cups, ..)
- Stucco von sp?t venezianische Barok; 18 Jh. Clemente i Giacomo Somazzi
- organs by Petar Nekic from 1756, renovated
- an altarpiece of Virgin and Child, 14th century, supposedly by Guariento d’Arpo.
- The church of St. Anthony the Abbot; an altarpiece of St. Joa and Anthony, work of Mateo Ponzoni
- church of St. Andrew next
to benedictine closter;
- a renaissance crucifix with a depiction of Lamentation.
- Altarpiece by the Venetian painter A. Novelli from 1765.
- Cretan-Byzantine painting of the Virgin Mary with Christ in her arms 16th century, with silver-golden icon frame made by a Venetian 18ct goldsmith. Copy of the Paolo Veneziano polyptych ( original at Bostom National Museum US).
- The church of St. Justine;
- altarpiece with a depiction of St. Justine and characters from the Battle of Lepanto from the 17th century by a Flemish painter, Baldasare d’Ana.
- King Coloman gift to Rab: enamel cross plates, 12 ct.
- another altarpiece with the depiction of Death of St. Joseph, by the Venetian painters’ workshop 16- 17 ct.
- Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels, by a Spanish painter Zuano Buschet 16th century.
- sacral collection in period 11-18 ct.
- Church of the Holy Cross;
- Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels painting, Venetian settecento.
- Stucco on the sealing work of Clemente ? Giacomo Somazzi 18 ct.
- Church of St. Anthony of
- altarpiece depiction of Virgin with Christ in her arms and the angels by unknown Venetian baroque painter 17ct.
- Portals: Palace Crnota, Palace Nimira, 15 ct works by sculptor Andrija Alessi
Santa Eufemia monastery:
- polyptych, workshop of brothers Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini 1458
- tabulatorium - late baroque
- lapidarium with different artefacta ( reliefs, sarcofag of Manda Budrisic ...)
- Icona "Madonna with a Child" -unknown master/ period
- pinacoteca of works by Fra Ambroz Testen ( modern art)
- biblioteca, small ethno museum
- The fountain in the Boscopini park, given to Rab at the end of the 1930s by the ban (governor) Ivan Perovi?. The fountain has six sources of water that symbolise the parishes of the island with a common source in the centre.
- The fountain in St. Christopher’s Square (Trg Sv. Kristofora), a work of the academic sculptor Žarko Violi? from Rijeka (1989), portrays the local legend of the shepherdess Draga and Kalifront from an epic by Juraj Barakovi?.
- The memorial cemetery for the victims of fascism in Kampor from 1953, project by Slovenian architect Edvard Ravnikar (1907-1993). The memorial complex includes a mosaic by Marijo Pregelj from Slovenia.
- The monument to the fallen soldiers of World War II in Boscopini park near hotel Istra is a work by Vinko Matkovi? from 1952. It has been restored in 2003 and joined with the monument to the fallen soldiers and victims of the Homeland war in Croatia by Mladen Š?erbe.
- The bust of Pravdoje Belija (highly esteemed senior forester of Rab, 1853 – 1923) was put up in 1974 in the town’s Komrcar Park. The sculptor is unknown.
- The bronze statue of St. Marino by Daniella Volpini from San Marino (2004) is a gift to Rab from the Republic of San Marino. Location: Dorka park near Hotel Arbiana.
- The bronze monument to Markantonius de Dominis in middle street, work of Kosta Angeli Radovani (academic painter, London, 1916 – Zagreb, 2002) from 1974. The monument is placed in front of Dominis’s house of birth in 1994.
Monuments, historical sights:
town of Rab
- St.Eufemia / Bernardin's Monastery in Kampor
- St.Peter's church, Supetarska Draga
- St.Damiens' church, Barbat